Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Go Green Go Cycling


With this blog of mine, I wanted to

appeal to our community to save all kinds of finite resources as much as possible. "Go

Green Go Cycling
" is a campaign I am running on
this blog to

request people to use their bicycles for regular commuting instead of using their Cars/Bikes. You can ensure 1 less Car/Bike

on the road that would have contributed for all kinds of pollutions. I Strongly feel, its a moral responsibility of every citizen or I would even say every human being on this planet to think of paying back to mother

nature, Payback in terms of saving power.. Payback in terms of saving water, payback in terms of saving paper, payback in terms of saving fuel or in one word payback in terms of saving all kind of natural resources and

Stop Global Warming. Cycling would be the best mode of payback to the mother nature.
We all know that the world has a fixed amount of natural resources - some of which are already

depleted. So as population growth greatly strains our finite resources, there are fewer resources available. If we intend to

leave our children and grandchildren with the same standard of living we have enjoyed, we must preserve the foundation of

that standard of living. We save for children’s educations, medication and their weddings in terms of cash or assets, but how about saving clean air,

water, fuel sources and soil for the upcoming future generations .....????

I'm looking for leaders who can help my community project in saving our city from

all kind of pollution. I am sure with co-operation and active participation from environment and health conscious

individuals, the initiative will take off and go a long way in creating awareness about the issue and fostering a

generation of responsible citizens.
Until then, let us begin in a small way at our own levels by refraining

from honking or over speeding a cyclist, when you see one in front, while he/she is peddling for a better cause, encourage

them by giving a thumbs up.


Prabhakar Rao C.M is looking for help with this community project to reduce pollution.He can

be reached on his mobile 9198450 65950 or
Prabhakarrao.cm@gmail.com. & People who r already on the Cycle can also contact and enroll your self

into our GGI (Go Green Initiator)

Club. Click here to

enroll

Rao live on Radio Indigo 91.9FM on 15-Dec-2008 (Click the video to play)


Rao live on FM Rainbow 101.3 on 15-Jan-2009 (Click the video to play)


===========================================

Please don't forget to click here and leave Your valuable

comments

===================================================

Few Good reasons why u should choose cycling...

For Your Community
Being out on your bicycle is good for the people around you as well. You are able to go the places you want to go and yet put

one less car on the road.
You don’t bring with you the noise that a car generates and are actually able to interaction with people as you move and be a

warm and friendly human presence on the streets.
Operating a bicycling does not harm the environment. There is no polluting exhaust released, no oil or gas consumed hence

saving natural resources . And the energy and materials used to manufacture one automobile could be used to create hundreds

of bicycles.

For Your State of Mind
Riding a bicycle is a proven stress releaser. Regardless of if you are riding purely for pleasure or for a specific

purpose, you will arrive at your destination feeling relaxed, energized and happier about the world and yourself.
Plus, being out on your bicycle is just flat-out fun. The more time you spend on two wheels, the harder it is to take

yourself too seriously.

For Your Body
Riding a bicycle offers many health benefits. Here are just a few:
· increased cardiovascular fitness
· increased strength
· increased balance and flexibility
· increased endurance and stamina
· increased calories burned
It can be done by people of all ages, from childhood up even through the adult years when achy joints don't allow for more

stressful exercise like jogging.

For Your

Pocket

It costs between Rs. 7.00 per KM to operate a car, depending on the vehicle. This is based on expenses like petrol, oil,

maintenance, etc., that go up when you drive more. This figure doesn’t include the hidden costs of vehicle ownership like depreciation, taxes,

and insurance. These factors make the actual per km cost to operate a car much higher.
When you start multiplying cost per km to operate a car by the distance you ride, you can easily calculate how much money you

save by riding a bicycle.
For example: my daily round trip commute

(House-Office-House) is 19 km. If I do this just twice a week, I will save over Rs.266, Rs.1330 a month like wise Rs.15960 a

year. Just think, if we all start using bicycle what would be the overall saving..
And if you would otherwise have to pay for parking, tolls, and the like, don’t forget to factor that in too. It can add up

quickly.

Ride For You
When you ride your bicycle, you are doing a lot of good things, many of which are for the benefit of others. But ultimately,

the one who benefits the most is you, through better health, peace of mind, increased confidence and self-reliance, heck,

even through a fatter bank account on top of all for a better tomorrow.

So for all these reasons, get out

there on your bicycle !! today.


Click her to read a article

"Seoul turns to bicycles to combat global warming"


10 comments:

  1. Rao.. This is Good initiative about spreading the awareness message about Cycling. Moving back to cycles from cars, will be slow, but definite change and I believe urban Indians will eventually embrace it.
    I guess it's only Automakers who got to worry about more cycles on road.

    ~Navdeep

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Rao Sab;

    really impressed by your campaign. I am also a cyclist who forgot what cycle is due to these metros. But you blog gave me energy to start it again. In few months I will get a bicycle for myself and start cycling again.

    I appriciate your efforts.

    regards;
    Ashish Nabira

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good, I wish this happens in other areas too preferably on sundays to start with. If we practise this well, we need not bother about traffic jams we can lift our bicycle and move to clear space. Above all let's live healthy and live longer.

    G.R.VITTAL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I have been cycling to work on and off. I started way back in 2001 and then sometime later in 2003. It was a 7km ride from Jayanagar to Richmond Town and I was able to cover that distance in 20min, about the same time I take on my bike and a little lesser than when I am in my car.

    However, the crazy traffic on the road always put me off. I could relate to your experience when you mentioned people honking at you from behind. There is an absolute lack of discipline on the B'lore roads which is actually quite risky for the cyclist.

    I am planning on getting back on the saddle again, of course againt my family's consent. Not sure if they would ever allow me to do that. Besides safety what concerns me next is sweat. What do you do to take care of that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr.Rao

    Good to listen to your thoughts and suggestions. May god give you more energy to spread the word across the vehicle users in the city. All our support for you.

    Regards
    Rama Rao

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have cycling to work to last 1 year. I commute to work in my bike at least once a week, or else i take bmtc buses.It did make a positive impact in me. I feel i am doing something good .. a nice feeling :). But most of the people have to change their "I don't care, I just care about me n my family" attitude which is much deep rooted in their mind.. Good work Mr. Rao . Hope to meet u sometime during CM.
    --anaray

    ReplyDelete
  7. U r taking the responsibility on ur shoulders!!
    We are here to make a hand by hand.
    Go ahead

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a car for occassional use and a bike for daily use. But during my school and college days I used to cycle around 50kms/day. Later I swiched over to a moped and than to a bike and then car ( as a typical middleclass person thinks or dreams of.... ) by imitating software professionals but nowadays when I am seeing people using bicycles and have again fallen in love with bicycle. I would like to know which cycle suits better for Bangalore roads. Kindly guide me in this matter. I think most of the people follow whatever the software professional do. So I thank them for taking the initiative to promote cycling.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Mr.Rao,

    I am a new member of your org (provided you accept my membership :-)). Just one thing to suggest. Have you thought about a sticker or a something that could be stuck on the bike indicating that the person is a member of this org (apart from the t-shirt which you can't wear everyday)? You know, like these office parking stickers. Would be a good one to attract more people towards the group. Moreover it is a cost effective advrtmnt.
    Arun

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mr.Rao, my frnd and i have met you a couple of times at cubbon park and are interested in joining ur group...u had told us u would bring the T-shirts next time...this is just a reminder..hope to meet u again this sunday or perhaps the next..

    ReplyDelete